Thursday, June 16, 2011

taking action, or not

I was talking with a friend the other day about my art career and how I was taking a class with Alyson Stanfield to help my career Blast Off. I explained how I have a difficult time following through on my art projects since I don't have the deadlines and assignments of school - I want to finish them, but for whatever reasons, I don't. My friend asked if perhaps I was afraid of something. Hmmm, that's the second time that question has come up in recent weeks.

Is it really so scary to fail? or succeed? Or even try? It seems ridiculous to be afraid of success, but I suppose that would mean change and taking responsibility for your life - both of which are difficult and frightening. Our brains are so wired to stay within our comfort zone that when we are challenged, even by our own ideas and projects, we become anxious and uncomfortable, perhaps making our idea seem not so great anymore. Suddenly, there are seemingly good reasons why such idea might not work: it would take too much time, I don't have the right tools or materials, someone else probably thought of it already, or it's just a dumb idea anyway. So, as these 'very legitimate' (not really) reasons surface, we let our once great idea fade into the back of our memory only to resurface months or years later to which we say to ourselves, hey, that's a great idea, why didn't I ever do that? Oh that's right, it would take too much time, I don't have the right tools or materials, someone else probably thought of it already, or it's just a dumb idea anyway.

And so we keep ourselves within our comfort zone endlessly. I would like to think that we can decide to move beyond this state of inaction by taking the necessary steps to make change gradually and for the better. As I have been doing the lessons in the Blast Off class I have followed links to a variety of blogs and books that talk specifically about making these changes in a very deliberate way, not waiting for the right time or a bolt of inspiration, but taking action, every day, a little at a time. So, I'm taking steps, every day, to make some changes - so, if you notice my situation is the same next year as today, kick me.
making progress... a little bit at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...